Thursday 4 June 2015

Dear Families,

Happy June everyone!  Yes, you read that correctly, it is JUNE!  We’ve entered our final month of school.  Where’d the year go?!  I suppose it zips by when you’re surrounded with amazing students every day who make you smile, laugh, and rejoice!  I am truly blessed and have enjoyed every moment creating beautiful heart soaring memories.  As we enjoy the final few weeks of school, I would like to extend a thank you to all my families who have consistently supported their child in my teaching.  Together, we have made a significant difference in their academic, social, and behavioural needs!  We are now surrounded with a class full of readers and writers :-) I am delighted by all my students progress and reaching their personal best!  

Character Recognition Assembly:
On Monday, we celebrated May's character trait which was Respect.  Congratulations to Karina!  Thank you for always striving to demonstrate respectful behaviour towards your peers, teachers, and family.  We’ve learned in order to get respect we have to give it.  The Golden Rule:  “Treat people the way you want to be treated.” 
Way to go Karina!
This month, we are focusing on Responsibility – “We do the right thing even when no one is watching.”  This week, I had a discussion with my students about the importance of always being accountable for our thoughts, words, and actions.  We must all take responsibility for this as it is vital to ensure the safety and happiness of ourselves and others.
Language Learning:
Over the next several weeks, I will be teaching my students about Poetry in preparation for our Poetry Cafe at the end of the month.  Yes of course, you are ALL INVITED, invitations to follow :) Stay tuned!!  Your child is excited to write poems and share them with you!  Thus far, we've written one poem that is inspired by the famous book entitled:  The Best Part About Me  Please ask your child about this over the weekend.    

For this unit of study, our Learning Goal & Success Criteria is the following:

Learning Goal:
We are learning to read, listen to, and write our own poetry using descriptive words to help our reader visualize and create a deeper meaning from our writing.

Success Criteria:
1. I can choose a topic for my poem that is meaningful to me.
2. I can use rich, descriptive (adjectives) word choice when I write.
3. I can include voice and expression in my writing.
4. I can help my reader create mental imagery (visualize) as they read my poem.
5. I can think with my head and heart to create a meaningful poem.

POETRY IS ... 
Thank you Mrs. Roth for providing us with this message!
Social Studies Field Trip:
On Monday, our class went to the local garage to learn about the role and responsibilities of a mechanic. We had the pleasure of learning from Doug was a very warm, considerate, caring, and thoughtful man who graciously gave us a wonderful tour and answered all my student's questions.  It was a very engaging, exciting, and entertaining visit!  Thank you to the Clearview Auto Centre for having us!  We appreciate your warmth and kindness in helping us with our inquiry-based learning.
Enjoy the pictures!  On Tuesday, we will be going to Life's A Slice and Wes has an exciting hour planned for us. Hint:  we will be making our own personal sized pizzas :-)  woo-hoo!
Community Walk

We made it!

Doug introducing us to his responsibilities 






Neat tools








Recycled tires



Thank you Doug for the delicious popsicles! 
Next week, we will be walking to the General Store and Life's a slice to continue our Inquiry into the roles and responsibilities of our community workers!

Math Learning about Probability:
On Wednesday, students created their own survey question which could be answered with the following probability terms: always, sometimes, never.  They then went around the classroom collecting data (information), and writing about their results.  Here are some of their neat questions:

How often do you play with your peers? - Ashlee
How often do you eat pizza for dinner?  - Layla
How often do you climb trees?  -Nolan
How often do you go to the beach in the summer?  -Emma
How often do you rake the leaves in the fall?  -Karrington
How often do you play on the tablet?  -Kurtis
How often do you fill a bucket?  -Ava       


Emma & Brody answering Kaden's survey question
Nolan, Kaden, and Alexander answering Carissa's survey question
Cassius, Karina, Ava, and Kurtis answering Kurtis'
Working together to read and comprehend 

Our Learning Goal

Quote:
My former student in Grade 4 named Mikaila approached me on Wednesday morning with a list of quotes to give and share with me.  I was so touched by this thoughtful gesture because she knows I'm a lover of inspirational quotes.  Over the next few posts, I will be sharing these with you, too!  Please enjoy :)  Thank you Mikaila for thinking of me, you've touched my heart with your kindness and I will cherish your quotes.  
"Dont judge my choices without understanding my reasons."
Mikaila Stevenson - Gr. 5
Namaste,
Miss Gill

3 comments:

  1. Love that you guys are learning about community helpers!! We all need them at some point but don't always think about HOW the job gets done!! Super!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brody is sad he missed the community walk but super excited for the next adventures! this is soo great you're able to do this with them!

    Thanks, Amanda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Rachelle & Amanda,
      Your continued support and comments on my blog is really appreciated! It brings me such joy and happiness! We had a tremendous time at the Garage and Doug was oh so personable and sweet with the kids.

      Delete