Friday 8 May 2015

Dear Families,
April showers bring May flowers!  Have you spotted any yet?  We have entered our second last month before the conclusion of our school year!!  I am amazed at how much we have accomplished as a class and how much more we have to experience together as a learning community.  Exciting times ahead!  I hope you'll find some outdoor ways to enjoy the sunny skies and warm temperatures this weekend.  On Mondays, I always look forward to hearing about my students' experiences with their family.

Character Recognition Assembly:
At the beginning of the week, we had an assembly to celebrate and honour all the students who have demonstrated OPTIMISIM - "We believe we can do it!"  Congratulations to Kaden and Karrington for consistently believing in themselves and their abilities even when it was difficult. Your determination, tenacity, and dedication to getting the job done is an inspiration to your peers and teacher.  Well done!
Optimistic Kaden & Karrington
Grade 7/8 Ottawa Trip:
On Wednesday, our intermediate students along with Mr. Daniels, Ms. Wismayer, Mr. McCann, and Mrs. Draper travelled to our country's capital, Ottawa.  I hope their journey was safe and they enjoyed themselves learning at Parliament Hill.  I know some of my students have a sibling who went away, I hope this transition of a sister/brother gone away from home for the first time was smooth.  They'll certainly be excited for Friday evening when they're reunited!!  
I adore Ottawa and to this day fondly remember when my Grade 8 classmates and I went.  It was wonderful and I still have my pictures from it!! 

Math Learning:
On Thursday's math class, our learning goal focused on recognizing and representing a variety of 2-D shapes using geo-boards and elastics.  Students enjoyed this process thoroughly and their creations were excellent!  During consolidation, we all listened attentively to each other's findings.  We discussed the various attributes on the 2-D shapes such a sides, edges, vertices (corners), and faces. Please enjoy the pictures below of our engaging learning!


Ashlee makes a 2-D square

Brody & Carissa

Emma & Kaden work together to get the job done!

Conrad & Miika cooperatively collaborating!

Cassius

Math Wall

Nolan & Layla

Consolidation of our Geo-Board creations
Mother's Day:
On Sunday, Mothers around the world will be celebrating Mother's Day!  I want to take this opportunity to wish all the Moms of my students a very joyous, loving, and memorable day!  I would also like to express my gratitude to the Moms who consistently support my teaching and your child's learning at home.  It has and continues to make a remarkable difference.  

We had a class discussion about the importance of respecting and showing our appreciation to our Moms everyday.  This resonated with my students and I could tell they wholeheartedly agreed.   
Your child spent the week making you a card which they are over the moon to share with YOU!!  I think you will really enjoy it, especially their heart-felt letters to you.  When I conferenced with your child, my eyes filled up as I was very moved by their touching words to you :)  I anticipate you will experience the same.  Enjoy your special day, you deserve it!
Here is a set of pictures from our hearts to yours...
Brody!

Miika

Carissa

Ashlee

Karrington

Alexander

Layla

Daniel

Conrad

Kaden

Jacob

Karina

Nolan

Emma

Kurtis

Cassius
Emma:
I would like to thank Emma for her beautiful card she made me upon hearing that I lost my beloved uncle who passed away Apr. 30th in India.  I was deeply moved by your kind gesture and thoughtful words, Emma.  You have helped give me strength and courage during this difficult time for my family and I.  I HONOUR YOU, always.  Thank you!!   



Quote:

“Forget who hurt you yesterday, remember who LOVES YOU every day.”  -- William Gr. 4
Namaste,
Miss Gill

5 comments:

  1. Those cards look amazing! I cant wait to read it! Although you aren't a biolgical mother your nurturing and constant caring and comforting for our kids in the day when we can't deserves to be recognised also! So thank you and enjoy this weekend with your mom. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those cards look amazing! I cant wait to read it! Although you aren't a biolgical mother your nurturing and constant caring and comforting for our kids in the day when we can't deserves to be recognised also! So thank you and enjoy this weekend with your mom. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful students with their artwork...inspired by moms and an extraordinary teacher who always seems to bring out the best in them!! Can't wait to see these up close!! Thank you! Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your Math Wall too! Clear and concise for little learners!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Finally did see the nice Mother's Day art up close! Apparently Nolan was saving it for just the right moment! :)

    ReplyDelete