Friday 15 May 2015

Dear Families,
I would like to start off by saying a heart-felt thank you to those Moms who shared a loving comment and notes in the agenda regarding Mother’s Day.  I received feedback from you which in turn touched my heart and I am eternally grateful to be surrounded by your amazing children every day.  Your compassionate thoughts, words, and support made my week!!  I have been doing a lot of reflecting lately in the absence of my mother as she's in India currently to be with her family, the bond between a mother and her child is truly one of a kind!  I admire, respect, and am inspired by all the mothers out there who consistently demonstrate and share their strength, dedication, and unconditional love for her children.  I am fortunate that I have been blessed to have a mother who has been the ultimate role model and who has been there for me always.  Thank you Ma for all that you do, ALL THAT YOU ARE!  You are amazing!!  On Monday, several students wrote a recount about their special day with you!

I also want to wish you all a happy and safe long weekend!  I have already heard some of the neat adventures, my students will be partaking in, such as camping, going to the trailer, cottages, etc. Have a blast with your precious child and I look forward to hearing all about it come Tuesday!!  I will be spending my long weekend outside doing much needed yard work.  Also, on Monday, I will come into the school to see if any of our baby chicks successfully hatched.  Please send your positive thoughts and prayers, as last year, I didn't have any success with this and I don't want to disappoint my students.    

Magic Show to End Bullying:
On Monday morning at 9:30a.m, we had the pleasure of having IncrediBrent and SuperSara come to our school to share their special magical talents and the following powerful message:
1. Anything is Possible
2. Believe in Yourself
3. You're not Alone
4. FIND YOUR MAGIC!
Staff and students were all left truly inspired by Brent and Sara!!  Thank you Mrs. Bell for providing our school with this opportunity and continue to learn, build, and grow in our awareness to END BULLYING NOW!
Meet IncrediBrent & SuperSara






Thank you Nolan for filling this out and sharing it with our class!


Jump Rope for Heart:
Thank you for your pledges and supporting this much needed cause.  Mrs. Weiderer has worked very hard at preparing this event at our school and her efforts are really appreciated!!  Students spent the afternoon in their house colours and teams to participate in a variety of skipping activities.  Everyone was enthusiastic, engaged, and excited!!  Thank you mother nature for holding off on the rain, it was cool out there, but everyone's hearts were pumping and we had a blast!  
Here are a few pictures from our jumping events :)













New Lowell's GOT ART!
Yesterday, Mrs. Czerny and I sent home a note regarding this event and this evening you will see an official invitation, please take a moment toread it.  It will take place on Wed. May 20th from 5-6:30pm and my class will be performing 2 songs.  We have been preparing and practicing all week, and are excited for you to see us.  Please have your child at the school gym by 5:20pm ready to perform.  
Mrs. Czerny, thank you for organizing this event for our school community, the arts truly bring out the best in all of us!  There is no right or wrong, creativity and magic is within EVERY child's heart and mind.  Thank you for letting US ALL SHINE!!

Symmetry FUN!
This week, we have been enjoying our learning about Symmetry.  I am very impressed with my students grasp of this concept.  We have done a lot of 2-D shape exploration and real world items and drawing lines of symmetry that are vertical, horizontal, and diagonal.  Ask your child about these terms and see if they can tell you all about it :)  At the end of our symmetry lesson, I had the students pick a partner to play a 'Fill the Puzzle' game using pattern blocks (hexagon, trapazoid, square, triangles, diamonds) to further consolidate their recognition of these 2-D shapes and their attributes (faces, edges, vertices).  Some of the puzzles were quite challenging so students really had to use their collaboration skills effectively - working together to GET THE JOB DONE!















  
Book Fair:
On Wed. - Fri., there will be a Book Fair in our school library.  Everyone is encouraged to sign their names for the draw because if Ms. Hartley picks your name, you have a chance to spend $25.00 at the book fair!  In addition, as the classroom teacher, I get this opportunity as well to choose a book for our class library!


Quote:
"Be kind.  Be respectful.  Be YOU."
Namaste, 
Miss Gill

1 comment:

  1. The students always look happy and engaged! Great hands on learning happening here!! Fingers crossed for the chicks!!

    ReplyDelete