Friday 14 November 2014

Dear Families,

Happy Camo Day Everyone!


Winter has officially arrived everyone!  I bet your child is excited about this as they get to run, jump, build and have fun in the snow!  My drive to school this morning was a bit tough, I really need to get organized and get my winter tires on.  Be safe on the roads everyone, the first snow fall tends to create a slippy drive.  Havea fabulous weekend with your loved ones. 

Remembrance Day Assembly:
On Tuesday, all staff and students participated in a Remembrance Day assembly to express our love, honour and gratitude to all those who have, are and will serve our country.  We truly are blessed to live in such a safe, caring and beautiful Canada.  As you know, each day as a whole school we sing O'Canada, as a teacher, during this time, I ensure that my students and I demonstrate our utmost respect and take time in our own way to say 'thank you' for being part of a wonderful community, country, and world.  I am so proud of my students for their efforts in singing “The Little Red Poppy” song with such love and compassion.  Parents who were able to attend, thank you for joining us and sharing your energy and time.  To all the staff members involved in organizing this Remembrance Day honouring, thank you for all your hard work!!!  At the end of our assembly, I had the students come back to our learning community and we brainstormed and wrote about “How We Can Bring Peace to Our Classroom.”  I was very impressed with some of their responses.  We always strive to maintain peace in our learning and cooperative play.  Here are a few pictures I captured from this assembly and of student work:

Primary Division singing; "The Little Red Poppy" song.  Thank you Mrs. Cznery for organizing this special event!

Remembrance Day art work

Peace DOVES :-)

Listening attentively and ready to perform

Lest We Forget

Mrs. Bell's thoughtful words of remembrance

Grade 4 students laying their wreath

Grade 3 students laying their class wreath

Respectful remembering participants

A tribute to each of the World Wars

Layla's mom, thank you for attending!

Grade 6 students reading "Flanders Field"

Hannah's peace wreath

Ashlee's ideas for how she will bring "Peace" to our learning community

Carissa & Conrad peaceful students

Ashlee & Nolan working together to get their job done :)

Layla & Kaden ready to honour their peace ideas

Lovely Layla!

Brilliant Brody!

Brody's Peace ideas, great work!

Student-Led Conferences:
It was a true pleasure meeting with all my students' families this week.  Thank you for taking the time to attend and help celebrate and enjoy all your child's achievements thus far in the school year.  I am extremely proud of each learner as they diligently led the interview beautifully by sharing their self-assessment through their "Star" and "Arrow" pieces of work.  It was their chance to shine and they certainly lit up our hearts and minds!  Throughout the Conferences, I experienced many heart-warming moments with parents and I deeply appreciate and value all your positive and constructive feedback.  I will use it to continue to provide my best as an educator for your child's academic, social, and behavioural needs.  Meeting the needs of my students is of utmost importance to me and I will always work hard to ensure they receive a compassionate, caring, and safe environment to learn in.  Again, thank you for your support, cooperation, and understanding.  If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me at the school.

The 4 Parts to a Recount:
In Language, we have been going deeper into our thinking when we write a personal Recount (retelling a special event).

Our Learning Goal for a Recount is:  We will learn, write, and remember the 4 parts of a recount. (Thank you Grace for helping our class develop this learning goal).

Success Criteria:
_ I will include a title for my recount.
_ I will explain the orientation (when, who, where, why?).
_ I will have a logical sequence of events (what happened? First, then, next, finally).
_ I will evaluate and provide a personal comment (how do the events make the writer feel?).
Using this Learning Goal and Success Criteria, students will complete a Recount and they will share their writing with a peer and provide each other feedback.  I am looking forward to reading and celebrating their growing writing skills!
Websites to visit:
www.spellingcity.com is a program that will assist in our “Word Study Program,” it's both interactive and FUN!  Please give it a try with next week's words :)
Both of these math websites offer games, questions to help build upon math skills that we're currently working on and it follows the Nelson math resource I'm using in class.
Camo Day:
On Wednesday we celebrated Camouflage day!  It was fabulous to see a lot of students and staff members in their camo!  I’m not a hunter, but wearing the clothing was quite fun!  Check us out J   

"Let there be Peace on Earth and Let it Begin with me!"

Library Visit #2:

We are using our 5 Magic Rules for Listening to Ms. Glenda :) as she reads an Owl story
On Thursday, we went to the local library again and this time each student received his/her very own library card, they were very excited about this process!  They even got to sign out a book, please ensure that it is returned by Thursday so your son/daughter may get another book!  Did you check out their Owl craft?  They thoroughly enjoyed creating these, I thought they turned out beautifully, sooo cute!  Trip #3 here we comeeeee ;) 
Quote:
"Everyone you meet is fighting a battle which you may know nothing about.  Be kind.  Always."

Namaste,
Miss Gill

No comments:

Post a Comment