Thursday 20 November 2014

Dear Families,
Monster creations!  Roarrrrrr!!
Winter is officially here!  With the colder temperatures, I am pleased to see that all my students are dressed cozily and warmly with winter attire (E.g., touque, gloves/mitts, coat, snow pants, neck warmer, etc…).  I am encouraging families to please have your child put in their backpacks an extra pair of socks and mitts/gloves just in case because I have had a few students come in from a fitness breaks feeling wet and damp from playing in the snow.  Thank you for your cooperation in this matter.

Bus Cancellations:
We have already had our first official ‘snow day’!  Wow, and it’s only Nov.!  I have had a few parents ask me this so I would like to clarify on here, too.  Please know that if we experience bus cancellations on a particular field trip day that the field trip will also be cancelled.  I will always do my best to reschedule the trip for another day if I am able to.  Thank you.

Library Trip #3:
On Thursday, we had our third visit to the local library.  I am always overjoyed with the excitement and enthusiasm that my students have on these adventures!  I am sure your child has already shared his/her Monster craft with you J  It is magnetic so perhaps you have it on your fridge?!  I am very appreciative with the organization, planning, and delivering of the weekly reading/craft that Ms. Glenda and Ms. Janice prepare for us.  We will certainly be making a ‘Thank You’ card for them.  Please note: Thurs. Nov. 27th is our final visit, have your child please return their book which they had the opportunity to sign out this week.  Thank you.  I will do my best to schedule another 4 visits in the spring (May-June) as this has certainly been one of the many highlights of our year thus far!  “The library is the place to be!”  Here are a few pictures I took from our visit:

Ms. Glenda reading and sharing 1 of 3 monster books :)

Alexander actively participating - way to go!

The Local Library - truly a charming, cozy space.

Alexander & Cassius sharing Ms. Glenda's monster models

Away they go ... monster creating!

Emma's creation :)


Roarrrrrrrrrrrr!

Ms. Doka's Jake and Joel with my Jacob!

Read Alouds - ask your child which one was his/her favourite and why?

Kaden, Brody, and Cassius ready to sign out their books with their new library cards!

I LOVE THIS!  This makes my heart soooo happy - Daniel, Kurtis, Miika engaged readers!

Writing a letter to Santa!  We'll be writing our own letters and then mailing them into this mailbox next Thurs.!

Carissa & Emily - reading buddies!
 Spirit Assembly:
Also on Thursday, we had our second Spirit Assembly.  The theme focused on ‘Movember’ so we did a whole school dance called ‘Do the Stache’ which the Leadership team members (which is comprised of Gr. 7/8 students) made up the lyrics and dance moves to - quite impressive!  I think our students are enjoying these assemblies as we’re building a sense of belonging and community.  When we have a Spirit day, I am encouraging all my students to please wear their house colours.  Students were going to write this into their agendas on Wed. but we had a snow day so they didn’t get a chance to do this.  Next time, I’ll ensure that I give them further notice.  While I’ve got you, I’ll let you know that …….. our next Spirit Assembly is on Fri. Dec. 19th (last day before the winter holidays), please have your child dress in house colours.  If you do not know their house colour and your child forgets as well, please write me a note in the agenda and I’d gladly let you know and make sure I write it down for you.  Thank you for participating in our ‘spirit building’ initiative!

Quote:
"Your thoughts become your words.  Your words become your actions.  Your actions become your destiny."
         
With all my heart & Namaste,
Miss Gill

1 comment: